Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cactus and Succulents




My small patio is filled with cactus and succulents. I don't even try to remember all the species. I am drawn to the unusual shapes and the potential flowers. Best of all, they thrive with far less care than most plants. Of course, that is on my list of retirement requirements--Do As Little As Possible! My latest purchases are Lithops, known as living stones. There are over 40 species and more than 90 varieties of Lithops. The pebble-like succulents will have white or yellow flowers in the fall. I hope mine will live that long. They aren't the easiest to grow. I have them in my kitchen window, getting strong light for about 8 hours per day.

Although I surround myself with green grass and plenty of flowers--I secretly I like my cactus the best. They are a symbolic recreation of me--tough skin, slow growing, minimal care, and likes plenty of sunlight. This is in stark contrast of what others' perception of me may be!

5 comments:

Hawk woman said...

At first glance, those living stones looked like overcooked Easter eggs. And you may be like those Easter eggs, but in other ways you are a real softy.

Laurie and Chris said...

The living stones are really cool. I have never seen them before.

Aiyana said...

I knew you were a closet cactophile!

Gorda said...

One of my living stones is also generating new leaves too. Must be the right time of year.
Gorda

Julie said...

Hi...just fell upon your blog...I like your posts...very refreshing, positive and upbeat! I am a succulent (and sometimes cactus) lover also!