Thursday, November 5, 2009

Forget the Hummers--I'm done!




I found this cute little two pack humming bird feeders at Lowe's for $7.99. After the hummingbird feeder fiasco last year, I thought the small ones would keep away the large birds. After seeing all the hummingbirds around my yard this fall, I decided to try the new one next to my swing--hoping to get a close up photo.






It's there hanging on the left. I stay on my swing most of the winter and with this view you can see why I swing my winters away! I waited for hours--and nothing! I keep my camera on, focused, and ready to go. Nothing...but then, history repeats itself...




In just a few hours this is what I get once again! Bees and ants, and even a wasp stopped by, but I was right about the woodpecker, he never showed up! I'm through with this! No more hummingbird feeders. The hummers will have to settle for flower nectar, just as nature intended!!





I check the radishes numerous times throughout the day and I still can't see what is eating up my radish crop! Whatever it is, they work fast. I pick them at various stages and they already have signs of chewing! I even used a magnifying glass to see if any "no-see-ums" were there, but nothing. Oh well, I guess I will pull them all up and wait for the carrots and kale to mature.







2 comments:

Aiyana said...

I've done some research on the radish pests and can find absolutely nothing! Most pests eat the leaves. I still think birds are doing it.
You are right to give up on hummers. If all the flowers you have don't draw them--then something is wrong!
Aiyana

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I quit hummers last year. I have tried different feeders, different syrups...we see them occasionally, but they will not come to the feeders. Oh well....