Sunday, October 25, 2009

Boulders and Bummers




When I moved into my new home 18 years ago, the builders were giving away rocks and boulders to homeowners from the excavated building areas. I ask for a large one, never dreaming it would be HUGE! It can't be moved without a huge front loader or some other heavy duty equipment. A few years later when we added a wall to enclose a small courtyard area, we had to build around the boulder. My house is described as the "boulder house" when someone asks for directions. My grandchildren loved it when they were small, and they would climb to the very top every time they would come over. They thought they were on top of the world!





My Santa Rita has turned a beautiful purple as the temperature has come down--definitely a nip in the air in the morning and evening. I still don't have the ability to transfer my photos to my computer, so I can't show the color change. So, I'm using a photo I already had. Just try to imagination the total pads even darker purple than what's just on the edges in this photo. Sorry! I hope I can figure out something soon as to what's wrong--I'm sure it's the computer card reader and not the camera memory stick.






Bunny Ears Prickly Pear--doesn't look very much like bunny ears. More like teddy bear ears.





I love this beaver tail prickly pear! These pictures were taken when this cactus was smaller than it is now. The flowers of this particular prickly pear species are so beautiful--they are a purpley fuchsia.
__________________________________


Not sure what to do with my computer. My son-in-law is giving me his very updated one whenever he gets around to installing his new one. That may be a while because he happens to be the worst procrastinator on the entire planet!! His number ONE flaw of only three flaws! He never gets around to reading this blog because he always puts it off, so I can tell you about him. Oh, he does admit that he has a problem, but he just puts off trying get help for it. Yes, it's that bad that he needs professional help, and he IS a professional himself!!! He sure has a green thumb though, and that sort of makes up for the procrastination, so he is a keeper!



My grandson will be leaving this coming Monday for his Army service, and we had a going away party tonight! He is the very first of my family to leave our small world and it certainly will be hard for all of us to let him go! He is positive this is his calling, and I can't do a thing to stop it. It's hard to accept, and I haven't yet, so.......I had to watch it because I could have ate half the cake tonight to assuage my conflicted feelings, and if I had, I would not have felt guilty!

5 comments:

Claude said...

I love that boulder!

I love rocks in general, but that boulder is absolutely magnificent. It would be worth buying a whole house if I could have that rock.

Maybe you can bribe son in law to stop procrastinating. Or just tell him there's a cantankerous man in Texas who is quickly losing patience with your lack of pictures... LOL

Julie said...

OMG! What a boulder!!! That is so cool!!! I wish we had any type of rocks here!

God bless your grandson, and I pray he will be in a safe place at all times!!!

Claude said...

Just wanted to let you know that the Pavonia hastata is on it's way, I got it in the mail yesterday. I hope I packed it ok... I was in a bit of a rush.

Now, here in Texas it takes all the heat and sun we can give it, but out there it may be more of an understory plant... it will definitely need a little extra water. I hope it does good for you, and if you need more, I got plenty...

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Margarite!
I absolutely love that boulder. I did not get one when we moved into our house here in Phoenix, but got a yard full of rocks.

Beautiful cacti. They look so healthy. It is amazing the beauty we have here in Phoenix.

I am so looking forward to meeting you at the AZ blogger luncheon this Friday. See ya there. Country hugs, Sherry

Decor To Adore said...

What gorgeous images of your cactus.

Please thank you grandson for his braveness to keep America free.

Hope to meet you on Friday.