Saturday, June 14, 2008

I'm a Bee Helper!

My sunflower seeds arrived today from the Great Sunflower Project. I planted them this evening and should have flowers in about 6 weeks. Hopefully all the data collected will give us a clue as to what has happened to our bees!
This little mammillaria is in full bloom. Click to enlarge it. It didn't have a tag and was soaking wet when I bought (rescued) it from Lowe's last year. This is the only cactus I have with white blooms. I never did get around to potting it. I did pick up a few pots yesterday
and I Will pot all of them tomorrow! I do have a lot to do though--maybe next week....Oh well, they are doing just fine in their little plastic nursery pots!




4 comments:

Julie said...

Oh...isn't this the cutest little cactus ever??? With all that curly hair, and really neat spines and flowers! Very very pretty! I adore it!!! I need to get more into cactus...but after I got thorned to death by that big wavy opuntia, I have stayed away. I think I have a grand total of three.

Claude said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that cactus is a Mammillaria bocasana ... it doesn't look exact, but the plant has a lot of subspecies and varieties, (there's even one that is totally spineless and wool-free called "fred")

It's the closest I could come in the rather quick search I did, but I'm not certain.

Whatever it is, it's cute as all git-out!

Aiyana said...

I agree with Claude. It sure looks like a Mammillaria boscana, but because of all the hair, I think it's a M. boscana 'forma multilanata'.

Pudgeduck said...

Julie-I think it is so cute-like baby hair-styled.

claude- Sounds like you are right!-again! Thanks!

No Rain -You guys are so smart!