Friday, June 26, 2009

The Day Unfolds....

This morning's sunrise--



A few minutes later, it looked like this.



The bell peppers will soon be ready for picking!


I picked three zucchini this morning! They are about five inches long. I read that to obtain the very best flavor, they should be picked at about 4 inches long, so it's time. Yum yum!

This is my first year growing cucumber, zucchini and watermelon. It has been fun, and I want to start a square-foot garden next year. The box is 6-8 inches high, about 4' x 4'. The smaller bed can be easily reached around the entire area. The box will be divided into grids--up to 16 1'x1' spaces. It's a great way to garden for small areas and saves on water. I will have it on the patio so it will have a wooden bottom . I can't wait for fall!!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



After the tomato worm rescue and my placing the thing back on the tomato plant, when I got up this morning the whole top of the tomato plant was gone and by afternoon, so was he. I think he may have burrowed into the container soil, where he will stay for three months to three years before emerging as the Sphinx Moth. Looks like my simple rescue has turned into a possible three year project--once I committed to the worm, I have to see it through. I'll need to find a place for container where I won't have to look at nothing but dirt for a long time, and then, I may find out he wasn't in there to begin with. When I act with impetuousness, there are always unforeseen consequences. Next time I'll read up BEFORE committing!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh, gosh, I am sorry Pudgeduck, but you really gave a me a laugh out loud chuckle in regards to your "worm"...I will be in a happy mood all day just thinking about it!!!

Those sunrises were spectacular! Lov ethe first one! I never can seem to get a good sky pic!

Congrats on your zucchinis! Here is a fun recipe that tastes good too:

ITALIAN ZUCCHINI CRESCENT PIE

4 c. thinly sliced zucchini
1 c. chopped onion
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. sweet basil leaves
1/4 tsp. oregano leaves
2 eggs, well beaten
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Pie crust
2 tsp. prepared mustard

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In 10 inch skillet cook zucchini and onion in butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and seasonings.
In large bowl, blend eggs and cheese, then stir in vegetable mixture. Spread unbaked pie crust with mustard. Pour vegetable mixture evenly into crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.