Saturday, February 21, 2009

Flowers Have Arrived!



Here are a few blooms from my garden this morning. The zinnias always look good! This one has an unusual pattern, with the tips of the petals a darker gold than the rest of the petal.



Parry's Penstemon--not planted here, but they came to this spot either from the wind or birds.


The sweet peas, labeled 'Old Fashioned', are very fragrant. The first blooms always seem to have the sweetest smell. A Swedish writer named Gunnar Ekelof, writes that every human being is allowed 180 seconds of pure and unmitigated happiness--not at once, but total in our lifetime! Well I have spent that 180 seconds just smelling my sweet peas today! I think he was mistaken- he most likely never met a gardener!



5 comments:

Claude said...

Well, it's about time those darned sweet peas bloomed! Ever since I told you about Grandma's method of getting rid of the noseeums, I've fealt personally involved with the darned things...

They are pretty things, but I think I prefer the zinnia... the coloration is really remarkable. Is it a new variety on the market, or did it just turn out that way?

Julie said...

YEAH!!! Flowers!!! I love the zinnias! I have always loved them, but we can't have them here due to humidity...they get ruined by it! Sadly!

Claude said...

I hate to say this, but the more I look at those zinnias, the more they look like Calendulas... actually, I'm pretty sure of it...

Pudgeduck said...

Claude-But I didn't plant Calendulas! They did come up in my potted ornamental grass. Maybe birds ...?? I did plant zinnias somewhere in the garden.......

kesslerdee said...

Love the SweetPeas! And the Zinnia imposter is lovely too!