Thursday, January 29, 2009

Garden Chores


I repotted the nutrient-deprived Euphorbia tirucalli into a larger container today. I used cactus mix as the new soil. I was so afraid I would break a branch and leak the toxic sap that I couldn't get all the old soil off the roots! I threw away the large towel I used and quickly took a shower. A few years ago my B-I-L had to go to the Doctor after he got the sap on his hands then rubbed his eyes. He couldn't see for a couple of days, and had to be on antibiotics for 10 days. He was in terrible pain so the doctor also gave him painkillers! I certainly did not want to go through that! Hopefully the plant will adjust to the better environment and not go into shock. I've heard that this Euphorbia is hard to kill regardless.


First zinnia bloomed!

We were hoping for rain but the clouds are drifting away. This hasn't been much of a winter. No frost, no freeze, (which is good) but it worries me that summer will be even hotter this year. Could global warming be happening only in this part of the country?



I found this turtle planter at Sam's Club today. Does it need to be planted with a cactus or succulent, maybe flowers or ornamental grass? It is 8" deep and 12" long. Tell me what you think!



The patio tomatoes are getting ripe, but each day it loses more leaves. It has plenty of flowers on the few foliaged stems that are left. Yum!!

7 comments:

Aiyana said...

I saw that planter at Sam's the other day. Also a rooster planter. I thought they were very well-priced, but didn't get any of them. I don't need more potted plants!
Aiyana

Claude said...

that turtle is screaming for a cactus...

but it's so pretty, don't let Turr Tull see it, or he may fall in love!

I do envy you actually having things growing...

Suzanne said...

Ripening tomatoes in January -- heaven. Man, you are one brave lady to replant the Euphorbia (or even get near it). It does look really nice though. The zinnia is beautiful -- one of my favorites!

Julie said...

I wish the darn tomato plants wouldn't get so straggly looking at the end...looks like a great crop there! I am dreaming of salad now!

Claude said...

As for the tomato... I don't know how much longer your growing season will last, but if you've got a while... Grandma would cut the growing end off the tomato plant and put it in water. It would grow roots and turn into another plant. Here in Texas, I do this with the spring plants, because the summer kills off the vines, and I have new plants for a fall crop.

Just a thought...

kesslerdee said...

Oh those tomatoes look so lucious! When did you plant it originally? It did freeze in Tucson- a few times this winter, but overall it has been mild here too.

Pudgeduck said...

Claude- Well.. Thanks for another great tip from Grandma. Same here-
Not much lives thought our summers!
Dee-I planted the tomato Late August. It was the first time I tried a patio tomato.